Command Line Networking Tools
Some additional tools can be found in the Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit:
- Arp Displays the Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) cache, and adds and removes MAC addresses from the cache.
- Hostname Displays the hostname of the local computer.
- Ipconfig Displays the TCP/IP configuration, renews the DHCP lease, purges the DNS cache, etc.
- Nbtstat Displays the statistics and connections of NetBIOS over TCP/IP (NBT) and troubleshoots NetBIOS name resolution problems.
- Netstat Displays the statistics for current TCP/IP connections.
- Netdiag Performs some simple network tests.
- Network Monitor Captures and displays all packets on the network.
- Nslookup Troubleshoots the DNS.
- Pathping Route-tracing tool that combines the features of ping and tracert.
- Ping Sends ECHO packets to verify that TCP/IP is configured and that remote systems are available.
- Route Displays the IP routing table and adds and deletes IP routes.
- Tracert Traces a route to remote systems.
- Netset Configures a variety of network parameters from the command line.
- Getmac Displays the physical MAC address of network cards.
- Wntipcfg Serves as a GUI version of the command lines Ipconfig.